Tuesday 3 May 2011

Eurohike Non-Stick Pan



I had the chance to pick a few items from the Millets own brand Eurohike and Peter Storm range recently and in addition to the Peter Storm Carrick Interactive fleece I choose a Eurohike non-stick frying pan. For some reason I didn’t check the size or weight, I think it was the general shape that attracted my attention so when it arrived I realised it was going to be too big (diameter 250mm) for solo backpacking. All was not lost however as I had the canoe trip planned and it looked like it would fit the bill, in addition for family car camping it would be a good alternative to our regular household pan.



My 1st impression of the pan was that it was a nice useable shape with nicely shaped shallow sloping sides and the build quality looked top class. The handle folds away and when opened clips into place very securely indeed with no trace of wobble, it’s also well insulated with a thick coating, it's actually thicker in reality than it appears on the website although the coating on mine is orange rather than black so they may have changed it slightly.

The label attached to the pan states the it’s “A durable steel pan with a thick non-stick coating” however the base is stamped with the words “Non Stick Aluminium” Judging by the feel I’d say it is indeed aluminium. The base of the pan is grooved which should make it less prone to slipping off the stove which is a nice detail touch.



The advertised weight is 450g but mine comes in at 478g, if it was something I’d backpack with I’d be disappointed but for my intended use it doesn’t matter much. In use it was perfect, used on an Optimus Nova running on Paraffin it was easily up to the task of frying 8 fat sausages and the non stick surface and anodised outer was easy to clean even using cold river water. The only thing that I can fault is that it would have been nice if it had been supplied with a stuff sack, apart from that there’s not to dislike about it and it looks much more expensive that it is at £12.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment